Mingara Regional Athletics Centre is a world-class facility attracting approximately 6,000 casual visitors per month including the public, local schools and sporting groups, and is the home to the Central Coast Academy of Sport, Tuggerah Lakes Mingara Little Athletics Club, Mingara Athletics Club and Berkeley Vale Soccer Club Seniors.
“With the support of our community, Mingara has worked tirelessly to provide the Central Coast with the very best in sporting facilities. We are excited to be able to jointly fund and provide this development. Since opening in 2000, the need for seating and shading has been raised and we are delighted with the great support we have received in bringing this initiative to life.” Sarah Ferman, Sports and Community Manager – Mingara Recreation Club.
The addition of the seating and shade will not only benefit the many wonderful sporting organisations that call this facility home, but thousands of school children, and their supportive families.
Local sporting organisation representatives, volunteers and guests enjoyed the welcome shade from the new facility on a bright sunny day as the seating and shade were officially opened.
The opening ribbon was proudly cut by;
- Mingara CEO, Paul Barnett and Mingara Patron, Shirley Hadley.
- David Mehan, State Member for The Entrance who provided the project with $100k from the Community Building Partnerships fund.
- Karen McNamara, the former Federal member for Dobell, who committed to supporting Mingara and all of the community and sporting bodies of the local area. The Federal Government committed to funding for this project and,
- Margaret Beardsley who helped drum up support for the project.
About the construction
Built by the Mingara construction team and local contractors the build involved:
- 22km of steel reinforcement
- 50 concrete truckloads of concrete
- 310Lm of pier foundations underground
- 50 workers and 3500 man hours
- 640m2 of sail fabric installed.
The Federal Government, Community Development Grants Program, delivered by the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development has provided joint funding for the development of the outdoor seating and shading area on the western side of the facility and refurbishment to amenities at Mingara Aquatics to the value of $500,000.
In addition, Mingara Recreation Club invested $464,554 towards the building project. Local State Member of Parliament, David Mehan provided an additional $100,000 funding from the Community Building Partnership towards the seating and shading project at Mingara Regional Athletics Centre.
“This is a great contribution from both the Federal and State Governments to the people of the Central Coast. Whilst all ages will appreciate this significant contribution, local children will mostly benefit from the new seating and shading area, as well as the revamped Mingara Aquatics amenities. On behalf of everyone on the Central Coast, we thank you for this generous contribution.” Paul Barnett, Chief Executive Officer – Mingara Leisure Group.